Nader's pale green

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri Aug 18 07:31:30 PDT 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Washington Post - August 17, 2000
>
> Nader Picks a Milder Shade of Green
>
> By Cathy Newman
> Washington Post Staff Writer
>
> It's Wednesday, Nov. 8. Think, for a moment, the unthinkable: Ralph
> Nader has made it to the White House. As America's new president, he
> now has the power to carry out the Green Party USA's official agenda,
> which, the nation may be stunned to learn, includes plans to abolish
> the Senate, to slap a 100 percent tax on the affluent, and to break
> up firms with more than 10 percent market share.

The Green Party movement in the U.S. will be dead within five years. Nader will do well in this election, enough to get the Green Party matching election funds. This means millions of dollars to play with, which means every political kook in America will smell the fresh green. When the 2004 Green Party convention rolls around, every nutter from the Reform Party will be there, as well as thousands of activists from Leftist paries. The resulting convention chaos will probably garner larger ratings than Survivor 45.

One only needs to look at the history of the Green Party in Germany. I remember doing a paper about them in college, back in 1985. Back then they had already split up into two camps. The logical outcome of the watered down radical message came last year when the Green Party endorsed German involvement in the War against Yugoslavia.

The Green Party: just a big waste of time.

The Green Party: the Ben & Jerry's party of capitalism.

The Green Party: a political dead end.

Chuck0