Nader's pale green

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri Aug 18 12:40:39 PDT 2000

Max Sawicky wrote:

> Chuckie said:
> The Green Party movement in the U.S. will be dead within five years.
> Nader will do well in this election, enough to get the Green Party
> matching election funds. This means millions of dollars to play with,
> which means every political kook in America will smell the fresh green.
> When the 2004 Green Party convention rolls around, every nutter from the
> Reform Party will be there, as well as thousands of activists from
> Leftist paries. . . . .
>
> Quite true, but not relevant. What matters w/Nader is
> the power of his ideas. If they prove to have some
> power, that will affect the political landscape. The
> organizational implications are the least clear, and
> this is a shortcoming of his campaign.

I agree with you, to some extent. I think Nader will be successful because his message will resonate among many people. I'm secretly hoping that Nader will make it into the debates, because as a political junkie and closet situationist, I think that spectacle could prove to be quite amusing. Just think, a highly intelligent anti-corporate activist debating a frat boy and a stiff.

I wonder how this Monica Lewinsky grand jury will affect Gore. It would be interesting to see what happens if Bush wins and the economy turns sours. If that happens, will Nader be even more popular in 2004?

> As for anarchism, that will be a passing fad too. The
> next wave among the young will be a return to square.
> Polka music and line dancing will be big. The Mills
> Bros. and Billy Eckstein will enjoy a revival. Nose
> rings will be out -- horn-rimmed glasses in. Instead
> of black, lots of plaid and ban-lon. Soccer out, bowling in.
> Vegetables will have gotten so toxic from modern agriculture
> that people will renounce veganism and invent burgerismo.
> Ketchup will come in six different colors, including
> radioactive blue.

Well, I'll just say that I think that anarchism will have a longer-lasting influence than it will have on fashion.

Chuck0