Verizon: union win

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 23:20:49 PDT 2000

Chuck0 wrote:

>>One
alternative would be a non-capitalist society where people don't engage in wage slavery, but instead spend their time on things that are vital to everyday needs, like food cultivation or building houses.<<

Although I agree with the basic premise that the financial industry is fundamentally useless, soul-destroying, unproductive paper shuffling, I have to say that a future utopia which has me up to my elbows in pig shit, is a utopia in name only. Will there be *no* soft administrative jobs in a non-capitalist society?

Presumably a few accountants will be needed to keep track of the bricks and swill (I am told by those who have experience of doing audits at pig farms that it is by no means a plum job, but needs must). And, assuming that the anarchists are interested in efficiency, there will probably be a need for a few management consultants. Journalism might be an option, I suppose.

While I'm on the general subject, I'm not too keen on the idea of those re-education camps. I'd just like to make it clear right now that if Chuck, Charles Brown, or any other of the radical left members of the list ever take global power, just give me the textbooks and I'll re-educate myself, in the comfort of my own home. God knows I have a talent for mindlessly parroting the party line, but I hate big classroom situations.

dd

===== "The banker must at all times affect a respectability that is more than human ... for this reason, he is typically the most romantic and least realistic of men"

John Maynard Keynes