Valley Girl Sez: Liberarianism Sux!

John Kawakami johnk at cyberjava.com
Thu Aug 24 01:53:15 PDT 2000

If I may augment this post. I think that two social phenomena will be ignored by future historians when they write about the network:

the IETF's RFC procedures

USENET voting rules

They were the two most formalized systems of decision making that arose to support the development of the network, and both were extremely democratic. Directly democratic too; they didn't rely on representatives or spokespeople -- volunteers coordinated everything. At some level, they were trying to build a utopian research community that was inspired by university life, but tried to be better. It's something worth documenting.

I'm sure they'll also forget about FidoNet, which wasn't usenet, but went through similar political ordeals, and had a global impact on the online world. (And it was written by an anarchist.)

Please, if some historian would consider studying these things as part of their research, a whole bunch of net people would be forever grateful.

--

-------------------------------------- John Kawakami work (10am - 7 or 8) 818-385-2048 home (9 pm - 1 am) 818-543-0864 johnk at cyberjava.com, johnk at firstlook.com