ASIA: Economy recovers, bound and gagged

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Thu Aug 24 11:48:28 PDT 2000

Dennis,

Fred Bergsten of the Institute for International Economics had a piece several months ago in The Economist about a new group, the ASEAN + 3, ASEAN plus China, Japan, and South Korea. Apparently they have now had three successive years of annual meetings and are moving forward rapidly, looking at the EU as an ultimate model, although moving more on currency and capital movement coordination than on trade. Is this what you are talking about? Bergsten pushed this as the real emergence finally of a tripolar capitalist' world. I have seen very little in the US media about this. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Dennis R Redmond <dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Thursday, August 24, 2000 1:32 PM Subject: Re: ASIA: Economy recovers, bound and gagged