Verizon: union win

Jeff Walker jkw1199p at seiu.workfam.com
Fri Aug 25 07:43:16 PDT 2000

The key in using "cheap victories" is to use them as a tool to escalate conflict and to demonstrate that the source of the people's power comes from collective action, not from laws, rules, etc. By starting out with a smaller battle and victory, it encourages people to take larger steps. Applying the concept to union organizing (my frame of reference), if you have, say, a health and safety issue, instead of filing a grievance, get a bunch of the workers together, march into the boss's office, and demand a solution. Then, using this as an example to the other people, pick out a bigger fight and get more people involved.

Frequent action does lead to burn out. The role of any organizer/activist needs to be to lead people into these fights, to determine what we can do and to pace the actions to keep burnout from happening.

Jeff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck0" <chuck at tao.ca> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 4:19 PM Subject: Re: Verizon: union win