Why Class Warfare May Work This Year

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 24 19:42:49 PDT 2000

>Wall Street Journal
>Op-Ed
>
>CAMPAIGN 2000
>
>Why Class Warfare May Work This Year
>Al Gore has followed Bill Clinton's lead by abandoning the nonworking poor.
>BY JAMES TARANTO
>
>[snip]
>
>Mr. Bush should tell Americans: When my opponent attacks "big
>corporations,"
>he's attacking you and me.

Though perhaps not in equal degree. In a piece elsewhere on the resonance of class-based appeals, David Greenberg notes in today's Slate: "... will the denial of class interests work today? We still suffer from class divisions: The richest 10 percent of the citizenry owns 71 percent of the wealth, and the average worker earns $26,000 a year while the average CEO takes in $12.4 million." Of course, the ever eloquent George W. Bush should be able to explain that away without much difficulty ;-)