Radio Doug Archives

Reese reeza at flex.com
Wed Aug 30 01:11:05 PDT 2000

At 09:17 AM 30/08/00 +0200, Peter van Heusden wrote:

>Does anyone know - is there a way to record RealPlayer stuff to a file? If

>that is the case, I could set up a cron job to suck Radio Doug to a file,

>and then pass the file on to someone with a better WWW connection to

>distribute.

It should be noted, that one of the goals of the streaming audio tech. was denying the end user the ability to record the data being streamed. That said, there are a number of ways to get around this limitation, depending on what hardware, etc. is available to you.

Perhaps easiest, is to use some external device, such as a mini-disc player or tape deck, pipe the audio to it to record, then pipe it back to the computer for conversion to .ra format. A variation on this involves two computers, where sound from one is input to the second, where it is recorded in .ra format.

There are also software alternatives, AudioJacker & Total Recorder, to name two programs specifically. These are the best solutions, because there is no digital-to-analog conversion required to make the file, thus less noise and other nasty analog stuff in the recording.

No, I do not have copies of these programs, I believe one (if not both) can be downloaded from the web.

Reese