Thomas Szasz (was Re: Anti-Depressants)

Worthlesseater at aol.com Worthlesseater at aol.com
Wed Aug 30 20:10:43 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/30/00 6:05:15 AM, furuhashi.1 at osu.edu writes:

<< and, btw, arguments like that of szaz's were considered *very*
>radical and *very* left a few decades ago. szaz's work, for ex, was
>one of the factors behind changing the classification of
>homosexuality as a psychiatric illness.

After my diagnosis, I poked around looking for books on alternative approaches to mental illness. I found Szasz's book "Psychiatric Slavery." My personal opinion is that he is all about rhetoric and not at all about helping people. This sort of "Help I am an out of step nonconformist so they are locking me up!" in my opinion is a fiction that belongs on the shelf next to the black light led zeppelin poster. I'll stop there before I grind my axe any further. mcapri