license to surf

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Wed Aug 30 20:15:51 PDT 2000

Co-inventor of Web calls for "licence" to surf

http://www.voila.co.uk/News/afp/media/000824125848.cf6z21i5.html

"Unfortunately we have a global network, a global economy and

global companies,

but we have not got a global legal system. Never before have we

lived in a

situation like this." ==== But we do. It's called the WTO and it'll keep getting bigger unless we keep our guard up. Of course, it's "their" version of a legal system, not ours, especially when you consider 12 people wrote the TRIPS agreement. We need to develop webs and swarms of resistance to preclude the desire for licensing; that's just a wedge for even more commodification of information. Surfing is a right to knowledge that is inalienable.

Ian