Fw: [ASDnet] What Went Wrong for Ralph?

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Sat Dec 30 09:14:49 PST 2000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gordon Fitch" <gcf at panix.com>

>Next time around, the Greens might consider trying to establish
>an early alliance with leftish Black and labor groups in order
>to set up a movement with wider credibility and appeal -- but
>do those people _really_ want to give up on the Democratic
>Party or merely threaten it? Most soc-dems seem obedient to
>authority and ready to come home when the boss whistles.

The Greens "might" consider building alliances with other groups? That the word "might" is even used is the best explanation for why Nader and the Greens failed, since they treat other progressives as unneeded or even illegitimate representatives of progressive values.

Until such a real alliances of labor, black, latino, left enviro and other forces is made BEFORE a candidate is picked, no third party movement will ever matter in this country. The day such a real alliance is made, I will walk out of the Dem party without a regret, as will vast numbers of other progressive voters.

But as long as Greens and other third party folks think such an alliance is something they can try to throw together as an afterthought after candidate and strategy has already been made, the third party vote will remain the "crank" vote Gordon noted it is.

-- Nathan Newman