Fw: [ASDnet] What Went Wrong for Ralph?

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Fri Dec 1 04:50:08 PST 2000

> > do those people _really_ want to give up on the Democratic
> > Party or merely threaten it?

Christopher B. Hajib-Niles:
> well, there are plenty of black democratic party hacks who
> use their influence to keep large numbers of black folks voting
> democrat. that said the real question is: is the green party
> really interested in the lives of black folk or do they just
> want to use them in order to increase the prestige of the
> party?

A successful party represents an assemblage of interests, of which ideology is usually only one. From the standpoint of White middle-class leftish people, there is probably not much interest in being interested in the lives of Black folk _per_se_ but there might be a lot of interest in forming an alliance with those who _are_ interested in the lives of Black folk because they're living them. (Politically correct professions of all to the contrary notwithstanding.) The same for unions, poor Whites, and so on. I just don't know if there's any interest on the part of these other groups to form an alliance with the people the Green Party represents regardless of what the Green Party does. It isn't plain to me that the Greens can offer anything the Democrats can't, given the box they're operating within.