Drug War & Conservatives (Re: Charlatans Left & Right

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 1 10:42:43 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Carroll, seriously, what gives you the arrogance to claim so much more
>virtue and progressive commitment than someone like Maxine Waters? I am
>sure you have done lots of good work in your life, but do you really think
>you have done so much better work that you can libel Waters as a self-aware
>and dedicated "servant of Imperialism"?

There's no denying that there are fine people who are Democrats. My Congressman, Jerry Nadler, is a pretty good guy, too. A few years ago, he came in as the second leftmost member of Congress (after Waters) in a National Journal ranking. But the point isn't individuals, it's how the party functions as an institution. As an institution, it brought us NATO, the CIA, the Bretton Woods institutions, the Vietnam war, and the Second Cold war (remember the concerted NATO buildup began in the Carter years, not the Reagan years). The U.S. military has been deployed more times under Clinton than it was under Reagan or Bush, Iraq has been strangled, and a good bit of Yugoslavia was trashed. Sounds to me less like "servants of imperialism" than "agents of imperialism."

Doug