Amazon.com speaks

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Dec 1 11:02:31 PST 2000

At 01:25 PM 12/1/00 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Anyone written to feedback at amazon.com to protest their unionbusting
>stance? You get this canned letter in response:

weird! i haven't gotten a thing. i replied to two confirmation orders, as well as an address for amazon associates b/c we link to amazon on the interpactinc.com and security-aware websites. i noted that i had purchased books from amazon in support of the unionization efforts there and that i hoped they resolved the problems soon, that i was looking forward to purchasing more books exclusively from amazon, rather than b and n, and borders. i also noted that i purchased from amazon despite having gift certs to the other places. then i told them that if they conti'd the union busting campaign, i'd surely take my business elsewhere and discontinue our linking (associate) relationship with them at our websites.

have not rec'd a thing for any of the three adresses.

To whom it may concern:

I was going to purchase from Barnes and Noble and Borders this Christmas because I have a gift certificate at both stores, and because they offer coupon discounts on a regular basis unlike Amazon.

However, this year I have and shall buy at Amazon in order to express my support for the union drive there. I shall make a second purchase this weekend and will reply to your confirmation address, as I've done here, in order to indicate, again, my reasons for choosing Amazon over other equally capable Internet Bookstores. I am supporting Amazon but only because I support the union drive among Amazon employees.

If it turns out that Amazon continues their vicious campaign against unionization, however, I will happily discontinue any and all purchases from Amazon. We will also remove the Amazon link from our web sites, Interpactinc.com and Security-Aware.com

I hope that you will resolve your problems with the union and allow them to proceed as they wish. Unions are good for your business and will encourage people to support you over your competitors: just consider how well such tactics work with Working Assets Long distance. When there isn't much to distinguish you from your competitors--and be realistic, there isn't--then it is incumbent upon you to at least see the virtue in supporting your employees' unionization effort, even if it is a cynical strategy designed to increase your customer base rather than support the right of your employees to unionize.

Amazon hasn't been doing well in the business press lately. The tack you are taking with your employees can only hurt you. A warm, public embrace of the union and a quick resolution to this standoff will do your firm a tremendous amount of good this holiday season. Otherwise, you risk a public relations disaster, particularly among the academic book buying public who have a great deal of influence on new buyers--students.

I look forward to hearing that Amazon has voted in the union.

Sincerely,

Kelley Crouse Walker Researcher/Writer Interpact, Inc. www.interpactinc.com Computer and Internet Security www.Security-Aware.com