Aids

jan carowan jancarowan at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 5 00:50:05 PST 2000

Mr Heartfield wrote:

>So you are not saying that it is merely accidental, you are saying that
>'gayness is not causative'. As you are aware, it is not a statistical
>fluke that two-thirds of aids sufferers are gay. Why that is is neither
>here nor there, when discussing the likelihood of an epidemic amongst
>heterosexuals.

Oh, I see, getting right exactly why that is is neither here nor there to someone who finds his refusal to use a condom an act of risk taking entpreneurialism though his sexual relations have evidently remained within a closed circle of his mother's friends and his father's friends' daughters. That is, with real heterosexual women who would never even think of having sex with someone whom they would have to ask to wear a condom.

>But you cannot shift the prejudice by lying about the facts. It is
>because aids campaigners have so consistently lied about the facts that
>they no longer command any authority for young adults.

the fact is that the problem is unprotected anal sex, not gays. The fact it is harder to say this than to identify gays as the risk group. The fact is that people want to believe it is gays because they believe gays suffer from inherent, hidden sin for which God has punished them with the HIV virus. The fact is that it is easier to talk about the higher random occurence of aids among homosexuals than the real hidden variable. The fact is that you are led to understand the causes in terms of risk groups due to your own prejudice.

the fact is that the perhaps the majority of americans entertain the idea that Africans get aids because they fuck monkeys. the fact is that most americans reason that because a disproportionate number of africans suffer from the virus--that is because Africans are a risk group--most africans are modern typhoid marys.

the fact is the perhaps the majority of americans think drug users deserve to die. Judge Judy has lent her authority to the cause.

Yes heterosexuals, especially the male ones, don't get it as long as they are fucking other heterosexuals who are not themelves receiving it from the back or needling themselves. Root Bernstein beat you to this story by about half a decade; it's not a leftist insight. He was given almost a full page in the Wall Street Journal. You seem confident that you are not fucking such wayward heterosexuals, and intent on turning this bit of autobiographical detail into sociological insight. Perhaps there are some on this list who can't be sure as you (perhaps because they actually do get laid), so it may be a good idea for them to use or demand the use of a condom.

? Why
>does it play such a large part in your lexicon?)

because I have a small vocabulary.

>prejudice deny these facts. Two-thirds of aids sufferers in Britain are
>gay. No amount of quibbling will wish that away. Try to deny it and you
>render yourself unbelievable on the subject.

Yet most gays don't have the virus, and the rate of contraction has dropped. Why is this not a fact that has to be explained as well? Note that I asked you why this was so, and you simply excised the question in your reply. So this is not even a question which can be asked. Well gayness itself does not bring about the virus; you want to write about aids but you can't get yourself to even utter the words anal sex; it's so much more (pseudo) scientific to talk about risk factors as risk groups. So you contribute to the very silences by which gays are oppressed and heterosexuals left ignorant of the acts by which they could be endangered.

>Well, of course, I could assume that the greater part of humanity is
>bigoted and cannot be trusted with the truth, and therefore must be lied
>to to persuade them to act for the good. Myself I prefer to believe that
>no good case ever had anything to fear from the truth.

Your truths about risk groups presents a partial, limited and false truth about who it is exactly that is at greater risk to contract the virus.

Warm regards, Jan

_____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com