Standardized Tests & Minorities, was Re: lbo-talk-digest V1 #3698

Adam Pressler adampopulist at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 10:45:36 PST 2000

--- Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> I forget now where I read this, and my memory is not
> exact. Recently a very interesting piece of research
> was
> carried out -- I think only with black students but
> perhaps
> with women too.

The experiment was covered in a "Frontline" doco on PBS. The results showed that members of minority groups that have traditionally underperformed on IQ tests compared to other groups showed the expected difference when TOLD it was an IQ test. There was NO DIFFERENCE between groups when participants were told it was a pre-test so they could measure the effect of the experimental variable (something like a new teaching tool.)

> One can
> learn about tests from studying them, but one can
> learn
> nothing about the people who are taking them (except
> the
> tautology that a given testtaker does well or badly
> on*that*
> test).

THE TESTS TEST TESTTAKERS TAKING TESTS' TESTTAKING.

THE SIXTH SICK SHEIK'S SIXTH SHEEP'S SICK.

TOY BOAT TOY BOAT TOY BOAT

Adam