Uni Protests Against Prison-Industrial complex

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Dec 6 12:09:31 PST 2000

are there any other moves underfoot. marriot is a huge foodservice operator, catering especially to unis. not in the loop on this one right now, so curious....

For those who want to get involved............

PLEASE POST FAR AND WIDE!!!!!!

Seven Ithaca College students are currently engaging

themselves in sit-in at the college's admissions office. There have but one demand:

>that Ithaca Collge terminate its contract with the infamous food service provider, Sodexho-Marriott. The reasons for this demand are numbered (one of these is SOdexho's horrendous labor record) but the main reason students are sitting in is to voice protest Sodexho's links to the PRISON INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX AND PRIVATE PRISONS.

> Here is how sodexho is linked to to private prisons. 48% of

Sodexho-Marriott is owned by the French multinational Sodexho ALliance. In turn, Sodexho Alliance is the single largest investor in Corrections Corporation of America, a private prisons corporation.

>We find this morally reprehensible, for a host of reasons. And we do not want to support, no matter how indirectly. For one thing, in recent years expenditures on prisons has been going up while expenditures on schools has been going down. It is quite obvious that people dreprived of a good education are more likely to end up in prison, and this policy of building prisons instead of schools is self-perpetuatimng. The United States currently has 25% percent of the world's priosn population, and does not have anywhere near that percentage of the total population.Also, in recent years as violent crime is going down, incarceration rates are going up.

There is something wrong here. The prison industry is the

fastest growing sector in the economy, all this amidst unprecedented American prosperity. We are throwing more and more people into jail, and most of them are going to jail for nonviolent offences.

Despite claims by Sodexho-Marriott that it is an

independent entity, Sodexho Alliance considers Sodexho-Marriott to be its subsidairy; quite the direct link if you ask me.

If you are interested helping us out, please send Peggy

Williams, President of Ithaca College an email announcing your support and solidarity with those participating in the sit-in. President at ithaca.edu

Thank you so much for your assistance, Joey Cronen, Ithaca College