Max Weber's Genteel Racism (was Re: weber)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 6 20:23:45 PST 2000

>It fascinates me that contingency leaves both you & Charles, Lou &
>Ricardo, etc., unhappy & unsatisfied, for all the differences in
>opinions on many other subjects.
>
>CB: It only leave me unsatisfied when you state it alone rather than
>as a dialectic of chance and necessity. There is not just
>contingency. There is contingency and necessity in history.

That should go without saying, between Marxists at least.

_However_, stating that there is a dialectic of chance & necessity is merely the point of departure, not the end of the debate.

More often than not, people (including many Marxists) see contingency where they should see necessity and see necessity where they should see contingency. Ideological inversion redux.

Yoshie