Disarming the Struggle AgaiAIDS: Anti-Science Obscurantism,Conpsiracy Theories

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 7 06:06:57 PST 2000

Peter van Heusden wrote:

> I know that all too well. However, one of the ways to make people
> healthier is to sell a successful product. If anadin headache tablets
> didn't work for me, I'd not buy them. Also, while I distrust the
> pharmaco-industrial complex deeply, they do have to go through various
> certification processes to get drugs on the market. I have a hard time
> believing that all those processes are corrupt - that would be a
> conspiracy on a scale I'd find hard to accept

Besides depriving people of treatments that work, conspiracy theories such as Chris's are a barrier to effective political action against the *real* evils of the pharmaco-industrial complex. I see Chris's nonsense as providing the same sort of service to capitalism (and hence to the pharmaco-industrial complex) as the War on Crime provides. Both hoaxes deflect attention from the real enemy onto imaginary enemies.

My original pleasure at having a strong anti-racist voice on lbo (even one that I disagreed with strategically) has been wholly destroyed by his arrant nonsense on the subject of AIDS. Chris is aiding and abetting his enemies.

Carrol