B4 & after Science

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Thu Dec 7 20:12:46 PST 2000

>>Almost 20 years ago I aced the intro grad course in quantum at Michigan;
also grad classes in stat mech and thermodynamics, as well as in special and general realtivity. I was going to be a philosopher of physics--I actually havea degree in hist & phil of science--but I sort of lost interest, or chanhged interests. This was a long time ago. When I was moving interstate a few years ago I looked at a bunch of my old books and discovered that my math was too rusty, and in my present situation, I was not likely to get it back. I sadly sold the books. They were pretty dusty anyway. But I still know a bit about physics. I would be pretty surprised if there was much in quantum physics that helped ordinary people in any direct way, or hurt them either. --jks

SQUIDS, MRI's etc have had a big influence on deepening our limited understanding of the brain and ameliorating suffering.

Hiroshima.

Nagasaki.

9trillion$$ opportunity cost of the "Cold War"

C'mon Justin. I know it's just listserve coffeeklatch but you're smater than the above!

Ian

ps keep the dialogue going please Big Science is at a weird point in "it's" historical "identity" we need more disucssion to displace the right's narrative of the telos of it's praxis.