Science

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 8 09:48:17 PST 2000

>CB: So you don't think your discussion of warrant as defined as probable
>cause to believe derives from philosophers of science analogizing to the
>legal ideas such as a warrant needing probable cause to believe a crime has
>been committed in the U.S. fourth amendment ? Just a coincidence in
>terminology ? I don't think so. Science and philosophy of science uses
>jurisprudential concepts in too many critical areas for it to be
>insignificant. What would science be without its "laws" ? Who do you think
>had the term first ?

I didn't say I had views about it; I said I didn't know. But it would surprise me if Warren court 4th Amendment law had much inflence on Anglo-American philosophy that had set up a vocabularly by proabbly 1950 or so. Sellars and Quine had worked out their essential ideas by the early 50s, before probable cause was an issue in American law and politics. --jks _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com