President-Elect Gore

Fri Dec 8 14:17:33 PST 2000

>>> mpa at the-wire.com 12/08/00 05:12PM >>>
On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Charles Brown wrote:

> Yes, but didn't the U.S Supreme rule that the Florida legislature has
> plenary power in this ?

Certainly. IANAE, but the states, not the voters, appoint the electors. As late as 1860, some state legislatures appointed their electors directly. And no doubt someone will pipe up to clarify this, so I'll leave it at that. (((((((((((((

CB: The "states" being the state legislatures ? Thus, the Florida legislature, which has been getting ready to vote for a while, will decide who the electors from Florida are, won't it ?

(((((((((

> If so, winner Bush. Get ready to fight Bush.

Are you sure? I think that it'll come down to the vote of the electoral college. Gore would be a fool to concede when ahead in the polls, after all.

CB: Sure enough to bet. I bet Bush wins in the end. Who will be the electors from Florida ? That will make the difference. We know how the electors from the other states will vote already.

I agree. I hope Gore fights it as far as he can go to put a damper on Bush's legitimacy if possible. Best scenario now is a somehow slightly illegitimate Bush who can't do as much because of that in office.

No president at all is better than the ones we have.