Scalia, the Consent of the Governed and Democracy Haikus

Leo Casey leoecasey at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 10 16:43:13 PST 2000

> I loved Scalia's comment to the effect that he
> supported stopping the
> counting of the votes because it would damage the
> legitimacy of Bush's

That's nothing. What about his comment that there is no right to suffrage -- that the right to vote for the President exists merely at the sufferance of the state legislature. So much for the "consent of the governed." No wonder the conservatives love him.

By the way, since I took to sending these messages out of web based Yahoo address to provide our kvetchers with plain text, I have had to go through all sorts of nonsense -- sending the message to the Yahoo address, cleaning it up and then resending it from Yahoo -- to make it work. You can't cut and paste, and only so much of the text you send into Yahoo will be reproduced with the reply or forward function. So here is the last part of my reply to Chip -- two haikus -- and I am sure that they are not in perfect form, so don't bother using up one of your 'three strikes and your out' quota from Doug to tell me that.

Haikus for Democracy

How does the people become the people if not through the agon of deliberation

No haughty elite and no enraged mob reigns in our name We, together, learn our will

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 (212-598-6869)

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass --