US Supreme Court's power grab (was Re: Query)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Dec 11 07:33:24 PST 2000

Carl Remick wrote:

>For my part, I'm surprised by the relative lack of reaction here on
>the list to the US Supreme Court's naked power grab. We can produce
>miles of scorched bandwidth over the proper interpretation of Max
>Weber -- a legitmate topic to be sure but hardly topical -- but seem
>to have little reaction at all to the black-robed coup d'etat now in
>progress. Of course, I implicate myself in this criticism. Twice
>this past weekend I sat down at the PC to draft proper fulminations
>on this subject for the list only to be seized by a sense of
>futility.
>
>Justin, Nathan, do you want to want to offer any hymns to the glory
>of the law today?

At the risk of incurring the wrath of Michael Hoover, there's a poll in today's WSJ showing that 63% of the public thinks that were Bush to become president, he would have won office legitmately, vs. 29% who'd see him as illegit; for Gore, the numbers are 48% and 43% respectively. "Taking into account everything that's happened over the past few weeks, who do you think ought to be president?" Bush, 51%; Gore, 40%.

Doug