kyoto

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Mon Dec 11 08:41:27 PST 2000

Hi LBO-- I asked my good friend Michael DiPaola, who edits a newsletter on global warming, to comment on the LBO global warming thread. I didn't forward him everything so apologies if any of this overlaps with what's already been said.

Liza

******************* Hey Liza, don’t get me started!

Oh, all right . . .

Let’s see, where to begin? First of all, no scientists of any type signed the Kyoto "declaration." I assume this guy means the Kyoto Protocol, which was signed by delegates representing countries -- over 170 of them since 1997. Maybe he means the Assessment Reports written by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) -- which was formed by the World Meteorological Organization. (Gee, you think they got any climate scientists?) It’s the second of these assessments that led to the Kyoto Protocol.

The two co-chairs of the science portion of IPCC assessment are from the UK’s Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction & Research and the National Climate Centre of China Meteorological Administration. Does this fellow actually question their credentials? Or motives ?

The more than 2000 scientists who worked on the Assessment reports came from many disciplines -- including HUNDREDS, I daresay, in meteorology, climate, physics, etc., etc. It included others for good reason: their assessments are supposed to predict not only climate but the potential impacts of a changing climate. Think about that for a second. The whole point is to provide policymakers with the best science possible, so the IPCC includes all kinds of scientists. It's possible that fewer than 50% call themselves "climatologists", but it is disingenuous in the extreme to then say "The greater part of the nine hundred scientists who signed the Kyoto declaration were not climatologists, nor even in related fields."

And speaking of motives ...

As for his friends Patrick Michaels and Robert Billings (sic: it’s "Balling"), they are not only both of them considered scientific lightweights, they’ve also been thoroughly exposed as well-paid mouthpieces for coal and oil interests. Ross Gelbspan (Boston Globe) wrote a pretty good book on it. Off the top of my head I recall Balling being on the payroll of the Kuwaiti government and Michaels on that of Western Fuels Association, among others. They are both still very active but are getting less and less media attention because of the now-obvious axes they grind. I met Michaels and I can tell you I would rather be playing cards with the Antichrist.

P.S. here’s my review of the book Michaels and Balling wrote this year:

"More Gas from Industry Skeptics

Although it is useful for any discussion to include the voice of skepticism, particularly when that

voice questions the majority opinion, the latest input from a small, well-heeled band of global

warming skeptics offers little that's new. The Satanic Gases: Clearing the Air About Global

Warming by Patrick J. Michaels and Robert C. Balling, Jr. does little more than many of the

arguments the authors have used for years to attack the science behind the position of the

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). However, the book may indeed influence the

way climate policy is made in the US, since it will be used as a political tool by the energy industry

and its allies.

"Global warming is a darned interesting scientific problem being played out as political drama, and

this book is true to that model," the book opens, then proceeds to confound that science with

politics. The gist of the argument in Satanic Gases is that climate models used by IPCC scientists

are greatly flawed and have erroneously led to what Michaels and Balling call "the glib projections

of climate catastrophe." The authors, though each claims deep scientific credentials (Michaels even

contributed to the IPCC report he regularly lambastes) portray the scientific mind as scheming and

devious, more concerned with "shoring up any little problems or inconsistencies" and justifying ever

more funding for research than with objective truth.

Satanic Gases does not break much new ground, certainly not with respect to scientific findings.

The authors invoke familiar arguments about the discrepancies between surface and satellite

recorded temperatures, the uncertainty of the predictive capabilities of climate models, and the

"inconsistencies" of various temperature readings in general.

When the US National Research Council (NRC) assigned the National Academy of Sciences to

investigate some of the discrepancies in temperature readings, its panel of experts' primary finding

was that the warming indicated by the surface measurements was indeed real (see GECR, 11

February 2000). But Satanic Gases, in mentioning the NRC report released earlier this year,

ignores that fact entirely and focuses instead on the admission by the panel that the science of

reading and modeling subtle variations in the temperature profile of the atmosphere still needs

improvement. The authors jump on that acknowledgment as evidence that climate models are

seriously flawed. "The NRC report is a watershed and underscores the arguments made throughout

this book," they note, as if their contrarian view were validated by the panel of experts -- when in

fact the opposite is true.

Trusting Industry to Sponsor Responsible Science

One point that the skeptics cannot refute is that the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere is

increasing. Failing that, they take the approach that more CO2 can only be beneficial -- for green

plants. "Consider it good fortune that we are living in a world of gradually increasing levels of

atmospheric CO2. The effects of this increase on food production are far more important than any

putative change in climate." The chapter "Greening the Planet" is strewn with graphs that attempt to

show a correlation between rising CO2 levels and crop yields (but ignore countless other factors

associated with food production). Readers may wonder how the authors can exploit the thin margin

of uncertainty in climate science to refute human-induced global warming out of hand, yet assert

without question the beneficent effects of unlimited, ever increasing concentrations of CO2.

Where scientific argument fails them, the authors confuse the issue further by hinting at perfidy in

high places. Noting the United Nations Environment Program's 1985 entry into the global climate

change issue, the authors ask, "What would better suit the United Nations' consistent agenda of

wealth transfer?"

Michaels and Balling claim they are keen advocates of "independent" science, unfettered by the

inefficient or corrupt influence of government, but they are oblivious to the potential for abuse in

corporate-funded science. One of the recommendations they pose to "prevent such tragedies" as

the world's collective response to climate change (i.e., the Kyoto Protocol) is to "lower the federal

outlay for research while increasing the flow from the private sector...." Presumably the portion of

the private sector that could make the most valuable contribution to that effort is the fossil-fuel

industry, to which the authors are no strangers. Michaels and Balling are chief and contributing

editors, respectively, of World Climate Report, a publication devoted to debunking IPCC science

and funded by the Greening Earth Society (a name intended to evoke the positive effect of CO2 on

plants).

The Greening Earth Society, for which Michaels works as a consultant and Balling as science

advisor, is a relentless dispenser of anti-Kyoto Protocol literature. It is also the creation of Western

Fuels Association, Inc., a coal-supply cooperative responsible for the delivery of about a quarter of

a billion dollars' worth of coal annually. In a letter delivered to each member of the US Congress

earlier this year, Society President (and Western Fuels CEO) Fred Palmer wrote: "It is a part of our

effort to see to it that policy makers like yourself are exposed to science of climate change that

doesn't first have to pass muster with those convinced we must `do something' about climate change

and, in doing so, do something about fossil fuels." (Western Fuels is waging a battle to save coal on

several fronts. Last month it filed a lawsuit against a number of environmental groups for

"commercial defamation," alleging its coal-supply businesses were damaged by a full-page ad in the

New York Times that promoted renewable energy while casting coal in an "unwholesome and

unfavorable light.")

The Importance of Controversy, Real and Imagined

The authors take offense when they are characterized in the press as part of the dwindling band of

skeptics. Part of the reason for that characterization may be that the same handful of names --

Michaels and Balling among them -- are often quoted by journalists as counterpoint to the

widespread agreement in the scientific community on global warming. John M. Wallace (chair of the

aforementioned NRC panel) has written that many journalists "in their well-intended efforts to air

opposing points of view ... tend to accentuate the differences of opinion." Often this attempt to

achieve journalistic balance muddles scientific with political opinion and creates a sense of conflict

within the scientific community where none exists. In a recent interview with the Columbia

Journalism Review, Wallace said, "In some cases there's also a tendency for the press and

particularly the high profile news media to pander to the public's fascination with debate and

controversy for its own sake."

It is in this environment, coupled with prodigious funding from the fossil fuel industry, that perennial

skeptics like Michaels and Balling gain currency. "Journalists who allow the ongoing debate between

these alarmists and naysayers in the scientific community to dominate and frame their coverage of

global warming," Wallace said, "are likely to miss out on the really new developments in the science, which are not amenable to such simplistic characterizations."

Readers intolerant of rhetorical gimmickry will have a hard time slogging through Satanic Gases. It

is difficult to imagine that serious scientists will use in any meaningful way the "science" in this book, which is presented less as dispassionate research than a thrown gauntlet. Policymakers, however, may find utility in the sound-bite polemics, and this book will likely be distributed to politicians of

every stripe around the world. It almost does not matter that the logic is convoluted to support

contrarian claims or to refute those of much of the scientific community. Satanic Gases will almost

certainly insinuate its way into some policymakers' words -- and perhaps deeds.

m i k e D ______________________________________________________________ Get free email at http://nytoday.com/mail