US Supreme Court's power grab (was Re: Query)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Dec 11 13:01:59 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Now, folks can sit on the sidelines and just say this is just an internal
>fight between capitalist parties or you can recognize that, in however
>fucked up and partial a way, the Democrats have been and continue to be the
>vehicle for the self-empowerment and enfranchisement of a whole range of
>interests and groups in our society

Which is why they've so enthusiastically organized demonstrations in Florida - a veritable proletarian riot to counter what Paul Gigot called the Republicans' bourgeois riot! I didn't think the Dems had it in them, but clearly I was wrong. An inspiring episode of popular mobilization, led by Al Gore of all people. Who'd a thunk it?

Doug