US Supreme Court's power grab (was Re: Query)

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon Dec 11 14:11:46 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

> Like all legitimation crises, no win by progressives will be inevitable, but
> it is an opportunity to fight and mobilize. I have doubts that some folks
> will seize it given the joy of engaging in friendly fire, but a large number
> of grassroots groups, from unions to civil rights groups will now be ready
> to unite and move forward in far more radical ways where a strategic vision
> can be built. If lefties on the list could take one second to stop
> attacking such progressive groups and take the time to talk about how to
> take advantage of the opportunity, that would be a great change of rhetoric
> for this list.

Sheesh, haven't we hashed this out before? I suspect that Nathan and the other liberals here are getting nervous about the impending Bush presidency. Aside from the fact that this election mess is an early Christmas present to us anarchists, nothing will change significantly for most of us when President Bush takes office.

I'm really chuckling right now. Personally, I don't need the election spectacle to give me an excuse to organize and go on the attack. I've been doing that practically every day I've been an activist (around 15 years now). I'll bet that many others on this list feel the same way. We bust our butts all the time to make social change happen. Why should the situation now be any different.

On a related note: it looks like a few of my young local comrades were attacked by the cops at yesterday's Leonard Peltier march in New York City. Four were arrested and spent the night in jail. Given that these anarchists aren't the rioting type, I'm assuming that the cops picked the fight.

More details as I get them.

Chuck0