Black disenfranchisement: how will the left respond?

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 11 14:29:12 PST 2000

My last post for the day: If one follows the black newspapers, black listservs, and other African-American media outlets, it's clear that voter disenfranchisement has become a BIG issue (not just in Florida -- evidence is growing across the country). People are pissed and the masses are stirring to action. What do people think of this development? Will white progressives take it seriously, too? What's the best left perspective on this?

----- Original Message ----- From: Nathan Newman <nathan at newman.org> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, December 11, 2000 4:47 PM Subject: Re: US Supreme Court's power grab (was Re: Query)

GOP
> [...]
> forces have conducted mass meetings in Miami and mass rallies in
> Tallahassee, but the media has largely refused to cover them most of the
> time. But this fight is not defined just by what the mass media says but
> how folks are communicating by meeting, by phone, by email and by
community
> newspaper.
>
> Maybe more mass action would have helped or maybe it would have just
> encouraged the media to increase the volume of calls for Gore to concede
> stop the riots in the streets. The fact is that the progressive forces
have
> seized the high ground in this fight which is not a terrible thing to take
> out of this fight.
>
> Doug and other folks don't care about Gore winning, yet they attack the
> tactical decisions of those who did care, as if they - anti-Gore
partisans -
> are better evaluators of strategy than those interested in the outcome and
> its consequences. It is a form of intellectual hubris and arrogance which
> is phenomenal. And as Charles notes, it is pretty useless and even
> objectively reactionary considering the timing.
>
> On the other point about polls and public opinion, Carl and Doug had this
> exchange:
>
> Carl Remick wrote:
>
> >My mistake. I'll take the results of a Wall Street Journal poll
> >over the results of a national popular vote count any day ;-)
>
> Doug responded:
> -That's not the point. It's that the public seems not to share your
> -conception of legitimacy (or Al Gore's). Why that is is another
> -question.
>
> The point is that polls are static and do not reflect long-term opinion in
> many cases. Right now, folks are echoing the media and in a certain sense
> acting on wish fulfillment to have this election over and some sort of
> legitimate President - which looks to be Bush, since the rightwing has
made
> it clear that they will not accept Gore. In this case, the passion of the
> Right is trumping that of the Left in convincing the center to accept Bush
> as the only route out of this mess.
>
> But this antidemocratic stain will just get worse as is heightens
attention
> to the partisan and rightwing moves of the Supreme Court, which have been
> largely discussed up to this point in abstract nonpolitical terms, except
by
> the most partisan people. Now, the Court will be treated as a partisan
> institution by many more mainstream progressive folks, thereby eating away
> at its legitimacy. And if the economic takes a dive and Bush screws up in
> any way, he has no safety net of a "mandate" or representing "popular
> sovereignty"-- he is walking a legitimacy tightrope from day one where if
he
> falls, he has no safety net other than the snarling partisans of the
Right.