party politics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Dec 11 15:20:45 PST 2000

While we're on the topic of the differences between Dems and Reps, a reminder of just how profound they are appeared in Saturday's Financial Times, in the form of this quote from Tim Geithner, under-secretary of the Treasury, commenting on debt relief proposals for Zambia (on which the U.S. and Germany are taking a very hard line): "The success of the debt relief initiative depends not on the spped and depth of the relief but on the credibility of the policies it produces in recipient countries" [Alan Beattie, "Zambia wins special deal on debt relief," Financial Times, December 9, 2000, p. 2]. I.e., more structural adjustment! James Baker couldn't have put it any better, could he?

Doug