Queen's Speech, NSPCC, Nice

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Dec 12 11:05:18 PST 2000

Gordon Fitch wrote:
> >People come from Colombia and Honduras to wash the toilets
> >where I used to work.

Doug Henwood:
> How much better would it be if it were native-born people washing the
> toilets? Is the problem one of geography or hierarchical social
> structures that sometimes, though not always, take such extreme
> spatial form?

I was merely noting one aspect of globalism. As it happens this particular phenomenon was greatly to my advantage, because not only did I not have to wash the toilets, but one evening, when I was stuck on some words in a paper by the mathematician Gregory Chaitin which he had written in Spanish [1], I was able to ask one of the toilet-washers for assistance. She became interested in the article and asked me for a copy of it, which I gave her. Maybe she'll win the Nobel Prize one day.

Of course, then -- in my advanced decrepitude -- I might have to wash _her_ toilets. I've had _my_ shot at the Nobel prize. Well, fair's fair, I guess. In fact, it might seem almost desirable, from an aesthetic point of view, to get more Goedelian mathematics, and some other things, into the hands of Honduran washerwomen. All I need to do is clone myself into an army of Net-slacking anarchists. Without something like that I'm afraid the globalism of the bourgeoisie may go long unsubverted, though I'm sure they'll succeed eventually in exporting many glistening toilets to Honduras and thus save the Honduran toilet-washers the burdens and difficulties of travel to our forbidding clime.

[1]http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/CDMTCS/chaitin/gmartin.html