Queen's Speech, NSPCC, Nice

JC Helary helary at eskimo.com
Tue Dec 12 23:36:31 PST 2000

> JC Helary wrote:
> > >what about economic 'localism' instead of
> > >nationalism ?
>
> Doug Henwood:
> > Even worse in my book. You're a French person in Japan talking to
> > people around the world via a computer based in New York. I like that
> > kind of worldliness. Don't you?

i like this kind of worldliness as well. but worldliness does not mean capitalist globalisation. if big (private) capital is what hurts what is wrong with small capital ? is capital itself bad or the fact that globalisation means concentration of capital in a small number of pockets? although i suppose talking in terms of good/bad is besides the point. small capital investment is necessary for local (socio-economic) development and if klein means considering the importance of local capital owners investing in the local economy while criticizing the concentration (and discrimination) involved with big capital i don't see where she is so wrong. well i am not well read in economic matters (or in anything related) so i am probably missing something very obvious. ?

> Gordon Fitch:
> People come from Colombia and Honduras to wash the toilets
> where I used to work.

japanese people wash the toilets where i worked and i used to wash toilets when i was in france. i have a feeling that your ex bosses have been mistakenly made into thinking that people from comlombia or honduras are more qualified to do the job than locals...

jc helary