Constitutional Convention anyone??

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Wed Dec 13 12:59:23 PST 2000

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer wrote:

> Why all this fear of the people? Wasn't it Jefferson who
> said that there should be a new Constitutional Convention
> every generation?

Yes, he did. Gore Vidal likes to talk about that. But the problem is, it needed to start happening after that first generation or so -- now it's a goddamned sacred document that is worshiped like the Eucharist. If 'we' had gotten into the habit of revisiting it regulalrly way back when, I think the idea would have been good, but now there is just too much the habit of worshipping it that anything that got added (good or bad) would immediately take on sacred status.

Joseph Noonan Houston, TX jfn1 at msc.com

haiku for struggle

democracy rocks noisy protests in the streets frowns high in rich suites

-Chip Berlet