Query regarding ballots

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Thu Dec 14 07:52:37 PST 2000

Carl Remick wrote:

> Yes, this is one of the greatest delights that lies in store. Florida, in
> particular, is quite accommodating of this kind of access, and I'm sure that
> many news organizations and citizens groups will advantage of it. Those
> votes may have been undercounted so far; eventually, they will be the most
> counted votes in history.

The Miami Herald is planning to do recounts - tho I've heard they're only looking at the ballots that weren't counted. And they're supposed to report the tallies according to the various counting standards - each standard will net a different outcome.

The Republicans waged an aggressive PR war and have quite successfully cast doubt on the legitimacy of any uncounted ballot - even though the various standards are widely used elsewhere in the country. The net result will do little to further diminish Bush's credibility while it'll fuel partisan bickering. I tempted to steal a page from the Coxian playbook: yawn. Nah...gotta have some distractions.

I do wonder how vigorous the Justice Dept. will be in continuing any on-going investigations in Florida.

Considering that the first organization to file FOI to look at the ballots, conservatives are already preparing their counter offensive PR campaign. The outcome will be all sound and fury signifying an endpoint that's academic.

Dennis Breslin