legitimation crisis postponed?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Dec 14 08:26:23 PST 2000

Gregory says:

>So one in five Americans consider the president illegitimate. Sounds
>like a nice start to a legitimization crisis to me...

Perhaps, though I suspect that (at the very least) one in five Americans has always thought of the U.S. government as illegitimate since the anti-Vietnam War movement, despite the mass media & the governing elite's indefatigable efforts to rewrite history & manufacture consent. The problem in recent decades has been, among other things, due to (1) demobilization since the end of the anti-war movement; and (2) the mass media's successful efforts to minimize & trivialize protests (against the Gulf War, for instance), often refusing to cover them altogether.

Seattle, etc. may have broken the vicious circle of (actual & imaginary) demobilization & demoralization.

About (2), see the following articles by my good friend Eric Swank:

Swank, Eric. 1993/1994. "Shall We Overcome?: The Sense of Power Among Gulf War Protesters." _Critical Sociology_ 20:31-51.

Swank, Eric. 1997. "The Ebbs and Flows of Gulf Protests." _Journal of Military and Political Sociology_ 25:211-29.

Swank, Eric. 2000. "Who Can You Trust?: Determining the Credibilities of Newspapers that Cover Protest Mobilizations." _Research in Social Movements, Conflict, and Change_ 22.

>IF there were left organizations with enough power, or even desire,
>to push this fight. Which there aren't.

Enough power, no, but desire, yes.

At 12:02 AM -0600 12/14/00, Lou Paulsen wrote:
> [...]
>they solidify the iron wall, before they line up every 'labor lieutenant'
>and every Democratic party hack to talk about how we have to look forward to
>compromise and unity, we WILL be listened to. We will be heard, yes, by the
>youth, by the workers, by the poor, by the masses. If not by millions -
>then by thousands. But who knows? There are moments every once in a while
>when we, yes, the 150 people on this list in the US, yes, the relatively
>small numbers in WWP and in all the parties and formations represented here,
>we are presented with an opportunity to AFFECT HISTORY.
>
>Every sufficiently organized and angry person in this country who CAN make
>it to DC WILL make it to DC. Do you think the anti-globalization youth are
>going to miss this? They are making their own plans. What about Florida?
>Is it out of the question that thousands from the oppressed communities in
>Florida will come up to have their voices heard if not their votes? CAN
>you sit this out? CAN you stay at home and watch it on television??
>
>This is a list full of Marxists. Marxism is not a religion or a social
>science or a hobby. It is a commitment to CHANGE THE WORLD. In a country
>like the US that is a damned difficult proposition. And among the chief
>difficulties is the "civil religion" of the US, as it has been called - the
>belief in the system, in voting, in the constitution, in the wisdom of the
>forefathers, in the impartial courts, in pledging allegiance to the flag, in
>the "best government on earth, for all its flaws." It is a more choking and
>paralyzing dogma than any manifestation of Christianity or any other
>religious fundamentalism. Now, unpredicted by anyone, the noxious clouds of
>this dogma have momentarily been dissipated. WE DO NOT GET THIS KIND OF
>OPPORTUNITY EVERY YEAR, or EVERY DECADE. This is our opportunity to
>AGITATE - to POLITICALLY EDUCATE - to fan the flames of the anger of the
>masses. Furthermore, it is an opportunity that comes just as a recession is
>about to hit.
>
>I am addressing this to EVERYONE here in the US. I don't demand or expect
>that you march under WW's banners. You can like us, tolerate us, respect
>us, scorn us, trust us, mistrust us, hate us, WHATEVER. March under
>whatever banners you feel like. Organize however you feel is appropriate.
>I'd like you to endorse it, but if you don't want to, don't. But come!! If
>there is a city, a state, or for that matter a campus, a union, a stratum, a
>'sphere' where WWP is weak or nonexistent and your group / circle / tendency
>is stronger, this is your chance to show how much better you can organize
>than us! But please, DO, recognize the importance of this thing. Do
>organize for it. Don't miss this historic opportunity. GET ON THE BUS.
>But first, GET THE BUS.
>
>Down with the racist dictatorship of the rich! Protest the inauguration!

Yoshie