O Happy Day (fish stew recipe)

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 15 06:49:36 PST 2000

>Our labor symbolized nothing, and left us
>mentally sluggish in the dusk of the evening. Intellectual activity is
>incompatible with any large amount of bodily exercise. The yeoman and the
>scholar -- the yeoman and the man of finest moral culture, though not the
>man of sturdiest sense and integrity -- are two distinct individuals, and
>can never be melted or welded into one substance.
>
>[end of excerpt]
>
>Carl

What mental and physical wimps! The idea that intellectual effort is best served by doing nothing but reading and staring off into space (or typing posts filled with academic jargon) is absurd, but I'm sure quite comforting to those who run screaming from the sight of a shovel or hoe. I find that after a day of labor, I'm able to think more clearly, view matters in their proper perspective. The mental and physical sides are balanced. The dandies you cite above obviously entered their little experiment with romantic thoughts that served only to reinforce their ignorance and arrogance. Nothing new, or old, there.

DP