O Happy Day (fish stew recipe)

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Fri Dec 15 16:40:23 PST 2000

>What mental and physical wimps! The idea that intellectual effort is best
>served by doing nothing but reading and staring off into space (or typing
>posts filled with academic jargon) is absurd, but I'm sure quite comforting
>to those who run screaming from the sight of a shovel or hoe.

What academics do nothing but read and stare off into space I wonder, or advocate such an 'academic process'?

>I find that
>after a day of labor, I'm able to think more clearly, view matters in their
>proper perspective. The mental and physical sides are balanced.

You really believe in this opposition, do you? That there are mental and physical sides to a person? And do you think only the manual labor you extol constitutes significant physical activity?

>The dandies
>you cite above obviously entered their little experiment with romantic
>thoughts that served only to reinforce their ignorance and arrogance.
>Nothing new, or old, there.

This seems to me to be a very good response to your own tales of the return to labor.

And finally:

> >Yes Oscar Wilde was genteel. So what. He definitely had no place in a
> >ditch.
>
>Well, that depended on the type of boys who did the digging.

This is the most ridiculous and small-minded thing you've written yet. But Yoshie's reply is so excellent I won't say more.

Catherine