Labor: Menial vs. Noble (was O Happy Day)

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 15 07:03:36 PST 2000

>there is no redemption in waiting tables
>or stooping over a stainless steel food production table or a cash register
>or a mop bucket. redemption is only available for those who shovel shit
>and/or earth and to those whose work is, what?, akin to cycling.
>
>kelley

As I said in an earlier post, dear kel, not all labor is dignified, especially the wage slavery you describe with true feeling. I've done plenty of that sort of work and know how draining, degrading and meaningless it is. I'm happy to be in a position to take blue-collar gigs that I can take pride in, that help my family to eat, sleep warmly, etc. But I never forget or overlook the mind-drilling menial tasks that many -- most -- people must perform to survive.

DP