O Happy Day

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 15 11:23:48 PST 2000

Catherine Driscoll wrote:

>I bet I don't get many more laughs out of GWB

You may be right. A period of national healing and bipartisan purposefulness has begun. Further evidence that Nathan's great movement to democratize the franchise has been put on hold appeared in today's New York Times:

>"Bipartisanship isn't an option any more," Mr. Daschle said. "It's a
>requirement." The Rev. Jesse Jackson was one of those who called the
>governor to wish him well. Ms. Hughes said the two men spoke of the
>need for healing and for election reform. "He was very gracious,"
>she said of Mr. Jackson. "They had a very good conversation."

Jackson's gesture is a perfect example of why the Democrats are a positively malignant force and not a mere disappointment - keeping the masses in the fold, and papering over the legitimation crisis.

Doug