The Next Phase

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Dec 15 12:45:29 PST 2000

. . . Jackson's gesture is a perfect example of why the Democrats are a positively malignant force and not a mere disappointment - keeping the masses in the fold, and papering over the legitimation crisis. Doug

My previous remarks have made clear my similar concerns, but in fairness I think it's a little early to draw final conclusions about Dem efforts to expand the franchise. A month or two of nonsensical bipartisanship is inevitable. The words of congratulation to Bush are obligatory. Underneath there is no lack of rancor. Even the DLC has raised the issue, early in the game.

(There is a chicken-egg problem in characterizing the DLC. Sure they rely on corporate funding, but they also want to win elections. The latter was prior to the former, though they obviously feed on each other.)

Even Jeb Bush has announced plans to improve Florida's electoral system. So in general there are lots of innings in this game.

As to legitimation crisis, there is none. Legitimacy is a relative thing. If there is no likely replacement, there is no illegitimacy. Legitimacy stems from power, not any kind of intellectual/moral credibility. There is no lack of power underlying the system.

mbs