Labor: Menial vs. Noble

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 16 14:32:43 PST 2000

>you've said over and over again that you think what gets discussed
>here is useless. that's anti intellectualism. your rant at doug was a
>form of anti intellectualism. and it's always a hoot to me when such a
>claim-how useless and boring it all is--gets trotted out: what exactly do
>you expect to take place on a mail list? when you denounce theory and
>learning--and i was self taught for a long time as well b/c i couldn't
>afford college--you give ammo to those who lobbed grenades at my efforts to
>learn on my own and then go to college.

I don't think that everything that is discussed here is "useless." I do find much of the academic jargon hard on the eye and at times too dense for any serious appreciation. I know academics have a language of their own; but I prefer clear, direct prose.

If it makes you feel smarter to call me an anti-intellectual, by all means fire away. I wouldn't want to take that away from you. As for my "rants" at Doug, I simply played off his post about not wanting to dig a ditch. I have tremendous respect for Doug and his work, and he's the primary reason why I joined this list.

>and now you've resorted to another klinker -- we're all humorless left
>intellectuals. HA. i'm a bit insulted as i believe it's hardly the case
>that i'm humorless -- though carol thinks i'm too emotional.

On this issue, kel, you are humorless. Clearly I struck a nerve with you, but such is life during wartime. I do find many of your other posts quite amusing -- in the good sense of the word. Here, however, there is anger or something else that keeps that part of you under wraps.

>you may think that it is all "just" about your experience, that none of it
>has implications beyond your corner of the world. i differ. i firmly
>believe that attitudes such as you've conveyed here have been significant
>contributions to the misery in the lives of men i know.

I can't speak to that part of your life. I can only speak of mine.

>i enjoy your posts to the list. people
>criticize because that's what email lists are, basically, about. so, none
>of this should be construed as some sort of attack on you.

Gee, you could have fooled me. In any event, I don't mind criticism; I've faced far worse in much closer quarters. I'm not easily bruised, so attack to your heart's content.

>if there's any chance, could you change the time on your 'fuser? you have
>it set at easter std time, even tho you are typing from michigan. this
>means that all your posts land in my inbox way out of order and i don't see
>them unless i seek them out.

>kelley

I'll have to ask my wife about that. She's the computer expert in the fam. To me, computers are televised typewriters.

DP