Labor: Menial vs. Noble

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 16 16:14:53 PST 2000

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer wrote:

> I don't think that everything that is discussed here is "useless." I do find
> much of the academic jargon hard on the eye and at times too dense for any
> serious appreciation. I know academics have a language of their own; but I
> prefer clear, direct prose.

You are saying this off the top of your head, and you can't prove it.

Demonstrate that "academic jargon" (as you define it) has appeared in any substantial number of posts on a given day.

Then demostrate that the academic jargon is indeed a special jargon.

I don't think you can do it. And I don't think you had anything in mind when you wrote this post. You are just going along with the mindless assumption that of course if people have degrees they use a special language.

Prove it. Or admit that you were slandering several 10s of thousands of people.

Carrol