US Supreme Court's power grab/ Law is politics/Flexibility of tactics

Barry Rene DeCicco bdecicco at umich.edu
Sun Dec 17 05:44:38 PST 2000

> From: sawicky at epinet.org (Max Sawicky)

> CB:
> "The Left should be furiously producing arguments and feelings that help to
> make the current events the basis for delegitimizing the Bush regime as much
> as possible. We should not be passive in the face of Wall Street Journal
> polls which are aimed at influencing public opinion in exactly the opposite
> manner that I say here. We should seek to build sentiment against the
> Supreme Court power move and the Bush presidency.

> Arguments against Gore and Clinton are very untimely now. . . .""

Max:

> Suppose Gore and Clinton oppose the delegitimization
> of Bush and the S. Ct.? Do you doubt that, at some
> point when Bush's accession becomes an obvious
> inevitability, they will do just that? Goo-goo
> arguments for better voting machines and procedures
> are not a substitute for your recommendation.

> What is the political message of defending someone
> who declines to defend themselves?

"Vehicle" is the word, Max.

Gore is a professional politician, and will operate accordingly. It is up to others to keep up the fight when Gore concedes (I think that he's doomed now) and to extend it into areas where he wouldn't.

> Come January 20, the only critic of the U.S. political
> system will be Ralph Nader. The other guys will be
> calling for unity, "for the good of the country."

Wrong. There will also be numerous labor leaders, black leaders, democratic activists, etc. Of course, the media don't give them the play, unless they're pressured.

There won't be a single *charismatic exective*, but if we can't get along without one, then we're doomed.

Barry