Labor: Menial vs. Noble

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Dec 17 08:36:30 PST 2000

/ dave / wrote:

> It falls to me to point out that "cocksucker" is by its very nature a
> misogynistic and anti-gay term, when used as an epithet. (Just think
> about it for a minute.)
>
> Its widespread currency as an all-purpose insult amongst otherwise
> "progressive" types, especially het men,

Yes -- this should have been pointed out earlier in the thrread -- it belongs in the same category of words as "n..." "k..." and "c..." -- words which even or especially when used by workers place the user as anti- working class. When the word first appeared in this thread I added the user to my filter but did fail to object on list as I should have. It is at least as obnoxious as the phrase which led to the unsubbing of one list participant.

Carrol