Hot to Trot

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 19 11:45:18 PST 2000

I am going on 13 years in Soli/Labor Notes, so I think I qualify as an old-timer and an insider. I am not a Trot and never was, and I can tell you that well over half our members are like me in this way, or even more so, coming directly out of grassroots movement rather than any left background. Soli has Trot antecedents, but the whole point of the Soli project is to get beyond that sort of inessential stuff. You don't even have to be a Marxist to be in Soli, good thing for me, I guess, since my Marxist credentials are pretty doubtful.

It's a caricature to say, as you and Nathan do, that Soli & LN (not the same thing, as you comment) reject all expansion of democracy in the work place. In fact, that is exactly wrong. We support all expansion of democracy in the workplace. But we are pretty doubtful that labor-management cooperation schemes are the way to promote this end. It's not democracy when the bosses say: we set the big goals and the parameters and retain veto power, you figure out how to do waht we tell you. It is democracatic when workers win their own unions back from trade union bureaucrats who have gotten to comfy with the boss, and force the management to accept good work rules and expanded worker participation in management. This should not be so hard to understood. Democracy has a strong process element, and how the participation is won affects what it is like in practice. LN and Soli are always for workers winning participation in the workplace through their own power, but this will always be at the expense of the bosses. I suppose Leo can disagree with that, but he has no right to say that we are a bunch of utopian millenarianist Trots who ignore the labor process while dreaming of Total Revolution.