Colin Powell

John Thornton jthorn16 at home.com
Tue Dec 19 05:49:08 PST 2000

I am a vet, but not Vietnam. Gulf war...almost. I demanded a discharge rather than participate in something I so strongly felt was amoral. Of course it wasn't an honorable discharge and they busted me down to E-3 before they granted it but I got out. I HAD friends who went and our friendships fell apart because of our differing opinions. I'm pretty conflicted about how I feel about others who participated. I can never know how much, if any, moral agonizing another person goes through when deciding whether to participate in something like that. These 2 conflicts are so different and the people who fought them are from different times so I am not sure my experiences with the Gulf war issues give me any insight into the issues facing people who participated or refused to in the Vietnam war. John Thornton

From: "Max Sawicky"