Colin Powell

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Tue Dec 19 19:48:12 PST 2000

There's at least one parallel. I have an old friend who was an MP in Vietnam. He still has friends in the military. They told him they took umbrage at orders to shoot Iraqi soldiers who were basically just running away. Then there is the famous 'highway of death.' Before the war started there were press accounts of a terrifying, inhumane weapon the Iraqis might use. I forget the name but it entailed spraying a fine, flammable mist over a wide area, then igniting it, creating a huge fireball. Of course, it was the U.S. that used this weapon.

Now suppose one of these incidents was isolated and a scapegoat made of the lower-level officers involved. That seems a partial parallel, at least, to My Lai. My point is that the politics of fixating on an episode in this way, even when it involves higher-level officers, seems off point. And I wonder how service people would react.

mbs

I am a vet, but not Vietnam. Gulf war...almost. I demanded a discharge rather than participate in something I so strongly felt was amoral. Of course it wasn't an honorable discharge and they busted me down to E-3 before they granted it but I got out. I HAD friends who went and our friendships fell apart because of our differing opinions. I'm pretty conflicted about how I feel about others who participated. I can never know how much, if any, moral agonizing another person goes through when deciding whether to participate in something like that. These 2 conflicts are so different and the people who fought them are from different times so I am not sure my experiences with the Gulf war issues give me any insight into the issues facing people who participated or refused to in the Vietnam war. John Thornton

From: "Max Sawicky"