The Democratic Party & the Illusion of Splits in the Ruling Class, was Re: Cockburn: The Coup

Adam Pressler adampopulist at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 08:13:59 PST 2000

--- Chip Berlet <cberlet at igc.org> wrote:
> While right-wing foundations help the Christian
> Right institutions surivive hard
> times, the vast majority of the funding for
> politically-active Christian right
> organizations is raised internally through direct
> mail and electronic media
> appeals.

Do you have a source on this, Chip? The last report on the subject I read (admittedly about 4 years ago) was "Funding the War of Ideas" published by the United Congregational Church. The conclusion there was that a small number wealthy funders committed to _building_a_rightist_movement_ provided the majority of the funding. Although, direct mail was a substantial portion of the total.

I suspect the direct mail is very useful for funding, but more useful for generating loyalty. Simply put, people will be dramatically more loyal to a cause they have supported with $5.00.

===== Adam Pressler

Dubya is that rarest of all gifts to an opposition, a genuine horse's ass, the Louis XVI of postmodernism. - Dennis R. Redmond