Unpacking My Library (was Re: Yoshie Furuhashi (Quote Kvetching)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Dec 21 21:12:41 PST 2000

>her taste in excerpting

***** Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories. More than that: the chance, the fate, that suffuse the past before my eyes are conspicuously present in the accustomed confusion of these books. For what else is this collection but a disorder to which habit has accommodated itself to such an extent that it can appear as order? (Walter Benjamin, "Unpacking My Library," _Illuminations_, trans. Harry Zohn, NY: Schocken Books, 1968, p. 60) *****

Yoshie