Yoshie Furuhashi (Quote Kvetching)

Roger Odisio rodisio at igc.org
Fri Dec 22 00:19:35 PST 2000

Max Sawicky wrote:

> Well, we've got another quiz.
> I will reveal tomorrow.
> No google-cheats!
> (you know who you are)
>
> >Tracy Stallard
>
> Who?

C'mon, Max, that question may appear hard for this crowd, but it's way too easy. Stallard gave up Roger Maris' 61st homer, to break Babe Ruth's record in '61. Of course, since McGwire has now hit 70, it doesn't matter much anymore. In a few years, Stallard won't be remembered at all, except perhaps by a few gnarled, mumbling old men like you or me. OTOH, the homer Ralph Terry gave up less than a year earlier will always be remembered by anyone with an interest in baseball.

And while I'm wasting my time with useless trivia, let me highlight my fav LBO passage of the day. It's Justin's summary of the "Marxist critique of capitalism" that, he says, should be discarded as worse than useless, counterproductive even.

Brilliant, just brilliant, the obliviousness perhaps exceeded only by the evident complacency.

RO