paper of various records

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Dec 25 19:30:35 PST 2000

> It was illustrated by a photo of a UPS truck and a
> caption along the lines of, This downturn has a negative impact on UPS and
> other carriers.

Around the time UPS went public, I read that the dot-com delivery stuff was driving UPS to becoming broke: they don't make any money on $3.95 shipping of a single CD from Amazon, in fact they lose money that way.

And if you think about it, all this individually-wrapped-and-delivered stuff completely un-does the economies of scale that you get with a rich distribution network.

/jordan